How to Use a Dog Whistle?- Before you know how to use a dog whistle, you need to clearly understand what a dog whistle is. Being a dog parent, it is important for you to train your furry friend.
With the help of this whistle sound, you can control your dog even if he is at a distance from you. You can also get your dog’s attention in a noisy or loud place.
Before using a dog whistle, pick and purchase a proper whistle. Practice blowing your whistle at a proper pitch before practicing with your dog to avoid unnecessary noise. Carefully choose your whistle cues and start using the whistle instead of your voice.
To use a dog whistle correctly, you must follow some steps mentioned below. Also, there are many advantages of using a whistle to give the command to your dogs like they sound uniques, carry your voice farther, and can be used in any weather. However, you have to take care of a few things when you are using a whistle.
When you are going to teach your furry friend about the whistle, you must be wondering, will dog whistles hurt your dog’s ears? Or how does a dog whistle work, and what is its advantage? All have been answered as you go along the article.
What is a Dog Whistle?
A dog whistle is a high-pitched whistle that is used to train dogs. Dogs have an astonishing ability to hear high-pitched sounds up to 45,000 Hz.
These whistles have a sound unlike daily noises as well as these sound carries for a long distance. The whistle sound is indiscernible to humans as they radiate tome of around 35,000 Hz.
What Type of Whistle is Best for Dogs?
Silent and audible are two types of whistles. The main difference between the two is their frequency range. Noise from an Audible whistle can be heard by humans and dogs, whereas dogs can only hear noise from a silent whistle.
If you are just starting your dog training, an Audible whistle is suggested to you. This will help you in knowing that you have used the correct strength to blow the whistle to reach your dog.
Silent Whistle emits ultrasonic sounds. It has been researched that sound from a silent whistle can travel more distance than a human voice and, therefore, can reach dogs at a farther distance.
How to Use a Dog Whistle?
To use a dog whistle is one of the things you should know as a dog parent. To start the process, you should have to pick and purchase a whistle of a specific frequency. Follow the below process to know how to use a dog whistle.
Pick and Purchase a Whistle
- Whistles come in a range of frequencies. Though a whistle of any frequency will work, try to pick a dog training whistle of a specific frequency. Choose the frequency of your whistle and stick to it.
- A specific frequency whistle will help your dog to listen to you in a group situation when multiple dog trainers will use the whistle at the same time. Even if you don’t know the frequency of your whistle, there is nothing to worry about.
- Frequency of whistle can be in the ultrasonic or audible region. Many people choose an ultrasonic whistle. But it is a compulsion. You can choose your whistle in the audible spectrum. Such a whistle will help you know you have used the whistle with the correct strength to reach the dog. Also, the signal was clear, and there was no interpretation.
Practice Blowing Your Whistle
You must use your tongue to break up the sound to blow the whistle. At the same time, you are blowing cover up the hole in the whistle with your tongue.
Choose Your Whistle Cues
- You will give different commands when you whistle. So, instead of a single type of whistle blow, try to blow the whistle in unique ways. Different blow sounds from the whistle will be great for different commands.
- For example, to signal recall or come, you can give two long blows on your whistle. Or, to signal to sit, you can give a series of three short blows.
Start Shifting Your Voice to the Whistle
Slowly start to shift your voice to the whistle.
- For example, you have chosen to give a series of three short blows for the sit command. So, first, whistle three short blows and then say the word “sit.” Give Treats and praise your dog when they follow your command.
- Start using a longer gap between the whistle and the spoken command as your dog learns the whistle command.
- When you realize your dog follows the command only over the whistle, stop using the verbal command.
- Like sit, you can teach all other commands to yourself similarly.
Start Continuous Training and Practice
Once your dog has started to respond to the whistle without verbal commands, it means its training is going well.
But practice is very important. It is because, with continuous practice and training, your dog will pay attention to your whistle command even when there will be distractions.
What are the Advantages of Using a Whistle?
There are many advantages of using a whistle which have been described below.
- Whistle carries sound at a farther distance. You can recall your dog from a farther distance using a whistle.
- They sound unique. Chose a whistle of a particular frequency to train your dog. So when you call, your dog will follow the sound. Even if he is present in a group of dogs, the particular frequency sound will recall him.
- It can be used in any weather. The sound of the whistle is loud enough to overcome rain, wind, and crashing waves.
- It can be used for different types of training. The whistle can be used for different training like general commands, basic obedience training, and specific behaviors.
- You need to save your voice for the better. Last but not least, you can save your voice by using a whistle to give the command to your dogs. Make sure you don’t whistle unnecessarily.
Will Your Dog’s Ears Get Hurt By Dog Whistles?
When we do things properly, it won’t harm us. Similarly, when used correctly, the dog whistle won’t harm your dog.
Even if you have any doubt regarding the whistle, consult with your vet and, most importantly, read the manufacturer’s information carefully.
Also, Dr. Pippa Elliott (BVMS, MRCVS) stated that noises to the top of the dog’s ability to hear could cause pain if they are loud enough.
It’s like the difference between a referee blowing a whistle on the football field versus blowing that same whistle directly in your ear.” That’s a pretty big difference.
Your responsibility is to take care of your pet, especially during training, so remember not to whistle near their ear.
Dogs’ hearing frequency range is different from humans. Humans can’t hear high-pitched sounds, dogs can, making them naturally more sensitive to sounds.
It means what you can’t hear can be extremely annoying or even painful for dogs.
Does the Dog Whistle Use Only for Recall Training?
A dog whistle is most commonly used for recall training. However, it can be used in other ways also. Dog whistle can be used to train dogs’ basic obedience behavior, or it can be used to stop barking.
There are many canine sports events that use a whistle to communicate with dogs, like when to go or when to stop. The silent whistle is generally used with hunting dogs or gun dogs.
Tips for Whistle Training a Dog
Being a pet owner, there are a few things that you should take care of when you use a dog whistle.
1. Wait for Your Dog to Respond to Your Whistle Sound
Once you give a command through your whistle, wait for your to respond to it. Don’t whistle continuously if your dog is a dog is not responding.
Otherwise, your dog will think responding to that whistle command is unnecessary. Also, once your dog responds, immediately follow up with the desired comment.
2. Don’t Whistle Near Your Dog’s Ear
Avoid blowing the whistle at full strength, and don’t whistle near your dog’s ears. If you do so, you may hurt your dog’s ear.
3. Give Treats and Praises to Your Dog
Dogs love treats and praises. So, once your dog successfully follows your command, immediately give him a treat as well as praise him.
4. Don’t Use Whistles Too Frequently
If you will use a whistle too frequently, there is a possibility that this training tool will become ineffective, and it may cause discomfort to your dog.
A dog whistle is used to establish a behavioral routine and to talk with your dog. So, being a dog parent is important for you to know or learn how to use a dog whistle.
Dog whistle can be used for different training like basic obedience training, general commands (like to sit, stop, etc.), and even for specific behaviors.
Follow the above-given guidelines for better results when you command your dog with a whistle.